What’s a great way to celebrate the birth of our Savior? According to the worldwide YouVersion community, the answer for Christmas Day 2011 was, “Share the Bible!” Together we gave away more free Bibles and helped more people connect to God’s Word through free YouVersion accounts than on any other single day in YouVersion’s history.
The November webcast was the first time we mentioned The Other 16 — that 16 out of 17 iOS and Android devices hadn’t installed the Bible App. Then together we shared the Bible on Christmas Day, telling others our favorite things about God’s Word, even helping friends and family install the Bible App™ on their devices. And the results are in:
- The Bible App for Android set a single-day record of 69,000 new installs.
- Android shattered its record—set just the day before—with 130,605 new installs.
- The Bible App for iPad set a record of 43,000 new installs, more than doubling its previous record of 20,000 (set on Christmas Day 2010).
- Overall, the Bible App was installed on 300,877 new mobile devices, breaking its previous one-day record of approximately 165,000 (also set on Christmas Day 2010).
- Users created 53,000 brand-new free YouVersion accounts, besting the previous record of 37,000 accounts in a single day (back in October, when we made the offline NIV available for download).
- The Bible App for iPhone nearly reached its previous record (114,000), within just 3,000 installs.
- It took just 5 and a half days for the Bible App to be installed on 1 million new devices. (During this same Share the Bible period in 2010, it took us 11 days to reach 1 million.) By the end of December 28, we were already at 940,000, accumulating our next 60,000 in the first half of December 29—almost exactly half the time it took to reach a million during that same period in 2010.
Many apps for mobile devices won’t see 300,000 installs total — let alone on a single day. But because of you, more and more people are discovering God’s Word, joining with us in a revolution of Bible engagement. Thank you for your part in making Global Share the Bible Day such a record-breaking success!