We honestly cannot tell you how excited we are to share this news with you:
As of this morning, the Bible App™ by YouVersion is listed by Apple
as one of the all-time top apps for both iPad and iPhone.
In fact, according to this article at Tech Crunch, on iPad, the Bible App is in the top 10 free apps! And that’s overall, not just in the Reference category where the Bible App is listed.
And the great story just continues on iPhone. Out of more than 300,000 apps, the Bible App is in the top 50 all-time apps on iPhone:
We’d like to say a huge thanks to all of our users who have made this possible. One of the contributing factors to this milestone is that you guys don’t just use our application yourselves, but you freely share it with others. It’s proof positive: When you tell your friends and your loved ones about what you’re learning from the Bible, whether it’s sharing on Facebook or Twitter, or even in face-to-face conversations, you are making a difference.
Of course, what’s most exciting about this news is the visibility that it gives—not to the Bible App or to YouVersion—but to God’s Word. Everything we do at YouVersion is focused on making the inspired Word of God, His Bible, freely accessible to as many people as we possibly can. Achieving this distinction brings us closer to that ultimate goal.
We’ve been telling you how Reading Plans can help you engage with God’s Word. A Reading Plan breaks your Bible reading into manageable chunks, making your time in the truth every day simple and straightforward. Whether you’re reading the whole Bible in a year (or in 90 days!), or just select parts, or even the most basic daily devotions, the Bible App™ by YouVersion has more than 50 plans to help you meet your goals.
Wherever you’re going to read, first you need a free YouVersion.com account (it only takes a minute). You might also consider linking your account to your social networks. If you have an iPhone, iPad, Android, or BlackBerry, click on your device or platform below for step-by-step instructions for starting and using Reading Plans:
The next version of the Bible App™ for iPhone and iPad, version 2.7, is now available in the iTunes app store and for download. We’re committed to continuing to make the Bible App as useful as possible. For this release, you’ll find several improvements, mainly to Reading Plans. Here are just a few of the highlights:
- We’ve made Reading Plans even easier to use all around!
- We added Categories to Reading Plans, so it’s much faster and easier to find specifically what you’re looking for.
- Especially when you’re trying to read through the entire Bible, everybody misses a day here or there. So we’ve come up with a feature we call “Catch Me Up” that helps you get back on track with whatever plan you’re using. Check it out!
We’ve also made the Bible App faster and more stable, and we fixed a few bugs. If you don’t already have it on your iPhone or iPad, we’d love for you to try it and let us know what you think on our Facebook page or on Twitter. If you already have the Bible App on your device, just tap the Apps icon and select Updates to jump up to this newest version.
Every year, Apple announces the top 10 apps for the year in each category in the iTunes Store. This year, we’re thrilled to announce that the Bible App from YouVersion made the top 10 in the free Reference category! On both iPhone and iPad!
Apple’s lists don’t indicate rank. The above iPhone apps view shows the winners sorted by name. We’d also like to draw your attention to the Paul Avery Holy Bible app and Logos for iPad. Paul Avery’s Holy Bible made both lists, and Logos made the iPad list—and both are free Bible apps! How awesome is it that God’s Word claimed three of the top spots for free Reference apps in 2010?! (To discover more free Bible resources, check out this page we added to our website to highlight them.)
To see more of the lists, simply go to the iTunes Store and click the iTunes Rewind banner:
Look under the Apps section, and click on the “Check Out the Hot Trends in 2010 Apps” link for either iPhone or iPad, whichever one you’re interested in. Click the “Top Free” link, and then scroll to the Reference section and click “See All.”
If you use the Bible App from YouVersion on your iPhone, then we imagine you might have watched with just the slightest twinge of envy as you’ve seen notes come to some of our other platforms. Your wait is over! As long as you’re signed in to your free YouVersion account, you’re ready to start adding notes:
- General notes. You can add a note at any time, and it can be about anything. Simply tap the Notes tab.
- Connected to a passage. Of course, you can link a note directly to a single verse. Just tap the verse you want to comment on, then tap Notes on the options menu that displays. To add yours, tap Create New. (You can even add additional verses—and remove verses—from their association with a note.)
- Connect with community. “Share” any note to post it to Twitter or Facebook, “Like” a note to display it in a list of your favorite Notes on your profile on YouVersion.com, even “Report” a note to flag it as inappropriate.
Important! For any note you make: Give it a title, then mark whether you want to share it:
- Draft. A note “in progress”—one that’s not quite ready for prime time.
- Private. Only you will see this note. This is a great way to journal for yourself about the things that God is showing you in His Word.
- Public. Your note will be visible by anyone. One of the greatest benefits of notes, public notes allow others to share in your journey through the Scriptures—and you in theirs.
- Publish on: The note will be Private for now, but it will become Public on the date you specify.
TIP: You can change a note back and forth between the different sharing options at any time.
Many of you have been asking us to bring notes to the iPhone for a long time now, so of course we’re thrilled to be able to provide it for you. But this is still just the beginning. We’re really excited about all the continued advancements and improvements still to come. In the meantime, enjoy your Bible! And please share your experience with others!