Let the Bible App Read to you.
Just imagine listening to God’s Word while you exercise, while you get ready for work, during your commute — or whenever you want.* It’s easy! Inside the Bible App:
Now listen to The Message!
The Message was written to recapture the conversational style of the original documents that made up what we call the New Testament, translating God’s Word into our everyday language. The Message’s smooth, casual flow helps you engage easily with the Bible, so you can better understand its stories and ideas. And now for the first time ever, YouVersion partners NavPress and Oasis Audio are generously making the audio version of The Message available to the worldwide YouVersion community!
*Audio Bibles are best experienced over Wi-Fi. If you don’t have Wi-Fi available when you listen, be aware of your device plan’s data limits and restrictions.
During each of the first 7 days of YouVersion’s 21-Day New Year Challenge, we’ll reveal a new tip: one more simple way you can use the Bible App to connect with God’s Word. And we’ll add a new tip every day, so keep checking back to see the next one.
Tip 1. Start a Bible Plan
Plans are a simple way to read the Bible every day, just a little at a time. Whether you’re looking for inspiration, direction, or a fresh perspective, the Bible App has Plans that meet you where you are. Start small. You’re more likely to complete a shorter Plan than a long one, especially when you’re just beginning. Then, as soon as you finish the Plan you’re on, find your next one and tap start.
Tip 2. Enjoy the Bible with Friends
The Bible is better with friends. Sharing, discussing, and exploring the things that God’s Word is saying to each of you — in a community of people you trust — helps you apply the Scriptures in your everyday life. The Bible App makes it easy for you to center conversations with Friends around the Bible.
Tip 3. Watch the Bible with Videos
Featured Bible App video content helps you connect visually with the concepts and stories in the Bible. Enjoy compelling video from The Lumo Project’s just-released “The Gospel of John” film, clips from groundbreaking television series The Bible, and selections from Jesus Film Media’s JESUS, the movie about Jesus’ life that’s been seen more than 6 billion times, all over the world.
Tip 4. Listen to Audio Bibles
Did you know the Bible App can read to you? It can! Listen while you drive, work, exercise — or even read along. In the versions list, speaker icons indicate which Bibles offer audio. The Bible App even offers Audio versions in several different languages.
Note: Audio Bibles use streaming, so be aware of the data usage plan for your provider. For best audio results, we recommend connecting over WiFi.
Tip 5. Set a Bible Plan Reminder
Have the Bible App remind you what time you’re planning to read. In your Plan’s settings, tap Reminder to turn it on, then specify when you’d like to be reminded.
Tip 6. Highlight, Bookmark, & Create Notes
In the Reader inside the Bible App, tap on any verse, and tools pop up to Highlight, Bookmark, write Notes, and more. Just tap the one you want and follow the prompts. You can specify colors and labels, and with Notes, whether you want them Public or Private. Try it!
Tip 7. Subscribe to Verse of the Day
Let the Bible App bring God’s Word to you every day. Just specify whether you’d prefer email or push notification, which Bible version you prefer, and what time.
The latest version of the Bible App has a handy new feature, Condensed View, that lets you see more of what you want on the screen. Previously, your Bookmarks, Highlights, and Notes all displayed on their respective screens as a list, the same way they appear in your Home view, showing you the Likes and Comments for each.
But now, you can tap the icon in the top right corner of any of these screens—Bookmarks, Highlights, or Notes—and your list toggles to “condensed” mode, showing you more of them at a time. If you want to see them in expanded view again, tap the icon again, and it toggles back. And this new Condensed View is smart, too: the Bible App remembers the last view you selected and defaults to it when you come back.
To see Condensed View in action, first make sure you have the latest version of the Bible App for your device. Then check each of your Bookmarks, Highlights, and Notes screens for the new icon in the top right corner.
The latest version of the Bible App is designed specifically to help you explore God’s Word together with your most trusted friends. When you use the Bible App’s community features, you’re strengthening your relationships, putting the Bible at the center of your friendships… and drawing closer to God.
We’ve answered the questions we’re hearing to help you decide how you want to bring Friends into your Bible experience:
1. What happens if I decline a Friend request?
When you tap Decline for a Friend request, that specific request is simply removed. The requester does not receive a notification that you declined. However, once the Bible App has removed that request, that also means that the requester can send you another Friend request in the future if they choose to.
2. Can I “Unfriend” someone?
Yes. Friendships are mutual. You always control who shares your Bible App experience with you.
- Tap the main menu button. The main menu displays.
- Tap Friends. Your current Friends list displays.
- Tap the user you would like to Unfriend.
- Tap Friend. The Bible App asks if you’re sure you wish to Unfriend this user.
- Tap Unfriend. You no longer have a Friend connection with this user in the Bible App. (The requester does not receive a notification that you declined.)
Note: This means that this user may request Friendship with you again—and also that you may request Friendship with them again, if you change your mind later.
3. How many Friends can I have in the Bible App?
Up to 150. Studies suggest most people only have the capacity to maintain about that many significant relationships. Limiting your Friends to people you know well makes the Bible App an environment for honest conversations and shared discoveries centered around Scripture.
4. Will my Friends be able to see all my Bible App activity?
By default, yes. But you can customize most Bible App activities as you go, choosing who can see what.
- Likes and Comments. You can Like and Comment on Friends’ activities, as well as on your own. Your Likes and Comments show up in your Friends’ feeds, as well as underneath the activity you Liked or Commented on. To un-Like something, simply tap the heart again. To delete one of your Comments:
- iOS: Swipe left across your Comment, then Delete.
- Android: Long press on your Comment, then Delete.
- Web: Click the “x” on the right side of your Comment.
- Highlights. Your Highlights display in your Friends’ feeds as you create them. To change or remove one of your Highlights: Go to main menu > Highlights. Find the Highlight you want to change, tap the settings icon, and select what you want.
- Bookmarks. When you Bookmark a passage, your Friends’ feeds show what you Bookmarked, but does not show the Bookmark Title or Labels. To change or remove one of your Bookmarks: Go to main menu > Bookmarks. Find the Bookmark you want to change, tap the settings icon, and select what you want.
- Bible Plans. When you start a Plan, the Bible App asks if you want your Friends to see your Plan activity. If you say No, that Plan is tagged as Private, and none of your Plan activity will display in your Friends’ feeds. If you say Yes, then your Friends’ feeds will show that you started that Plan. They’ll also see each time you complete a day of the Plan, and when you finish the Plan. To change these settings at any time, simply go to the Plan’s settings, scroll to the Privacy section, and select Private or Friends Only.
- Notes. When you create a Note, you can set it as Public, Friends, Private, or Save as Draft. To change or remove one of your Notes: Go to main menu > Notes. Find the Note you want to change, tap the settings icon, and select what you want.
5. What do Friends bring to my Bible App experience?
- Trust. You and each Friend agree to be connected, so you can shape your experience around the people you’re closest to. And if you’d like to make any adjustments along the way, you can add or Unfriend at any time.
- Encouragement. See your Friends’ Bible Plan progress and encourage each other to stick with it. Share what you learn from a day’s reading, or simply which part of that day’s reading you liked best.
- Conversation. Like and comment on each other’s Bookmarks, Highlights, Notes, and other activity. Discuss what you’re reading, ask questions, share insights, and pray for one another.
- Growth. People from all over the world have been telling us that connecting with their Friends through the Bible App has helped grow their understanding of the Bible. And just as many say that sharing the Bible with their friends is drawing them closer together.
Want to Know More?
This series of blog posts can help you understand everything about the Bible App:
|Ever since Bible App 5 launched, the YouVersion community has been sharing how much you enjoy interacting with friends right inside the app. Bible App 5 helps you engage with God’s Word more than ever before—through your relationships.|
The latest Bible App update on Android and iOS lets you add friends straight from your device. Just tap “Friends” from the main menu, then [Find Friends]. The Bible App automatically suggests friends who already have YouVersion accounts. You can also tap “Contacts” to invite anyone in your contact list to download the Bible App.
Closer to God & Each Other
From all across the YouVersion community, stories are pouring in: people telling us how much they love and appreciate Bible App 5. But they’re not talking about icons or menus or features. No, what they’re excited about is what’s happening in their relationships—with God and with each other.
Here are three quick, easy ways the Bible App can help you connect with the Bible:
The latest updates to the Bible App for Android and iOS make it faster and easier to join your Friends in conversation, to see activity about what you’re reading, and to capture your thoughts, wherever they happen to come to you:
Expanding your circle of Friends in the app has never been easier. Tap the main menu and select “Friends.” With just a few more taps, you can invite select friends from your contacts to join you in the Bible App, by email or SMS (text message). Of course, you can still share the Bible App on Facebook and Twitter, like always, but asking your friends directly gives a more personal touch to your invitation. Friends make your time in the Bible even richer—grab your phone and invite your favorite people!
Comment on Bookmarks, Highlights
For the first time ever, the Bible App now lets you add Comments to Bookmarks and Highlights (on Android, iOS, and at bible.com). “Writing in the margins” of your Bible is easier than ever. And, even better, Comments let you open up your thoughts, questions, and discoveries for discussion with Friends.
When you tap a verse, now the Bible App offers you the choice to see Related Moments. View your previous Bookmarks, Highlights, and Notes with the selected passage, as well as what other people are saying about it in Public Notes. Related Moments help you reflect on what God has spoken to you in the past, and to spark new conversations with Friends around your favorite verses.
People ask us all the time if the Bible App can send them the Verse of the Day, so they’ll never miss one. And now it can! If you’re new to the Bible App, the Verse of the Day is a select daily passage intended to encourage you, refresh your perspective, and help you focus your thoughts on God. Of course, you’ll want to read more of the Bible than just one verse a day, but the Verse of the Day is a quick, easy way you can remind yourself what’s important.
Available now on iOS (newest 5.1.1 release), this handy feature is also coming soon to the Bible App for Android and to bible.com. Maybe you like thinking about the Bible first thing when you wake up. Or meditating on it as a midday reminder. Or perhaps at bedtime, so you can think about it as you’re drifting to sleep. Whatever your preference, just tell the Bible App when and how you want your Verse of the Day delivered…and we’ll do the rest!
Here’s how you can get the Verse of the Day, every day:
Home View: Find any Verse of the Day moment
Tap the gear icon (see below)
Select email or push notification
(push notification means it will pop up on your device screen)
Specify what time you want to receive your Verse of the Day
- Select the Bible version you prefer
Update: You can now subscribe to the Verse of the Day on the Bible App for Android as well as at bible.com
|January is months away, but we can create a fresh start right now. Today, the YouVersion community is making and sharing Half-Year Resolutions for spending time in the Bible. Wondering where to start? Check out this month’s Featured Plans!|
What’s Your Half-Year Resolution?
Once you decide on your goal, you can inspire others to make a fresh start too! Use the hashtag #HalfYearResolution on Facebook and Twitter to share what you’re beginning today. Talking about your Half-Year Resolution is one more way the YouVersion community can bring the Bible into everyday conversation, right where it belongs.
Tip: Friends = Accountability
If you’ve been using Bible App 5 with friends, you’ve seen how easy it is to share your time in the Bible. When you make a note, create a bookmark, or just check off your reading each day, your friends can see what you’re up to and add their thoughts. Consider asking a friend to help you stay accountable for your daily reading, and let the app help you stay in touch as you do. (Make sure your Plan is visible to friends.)
|Explore All the Bible App Has to Offer. No matter where you are or what you’re doing, you can always have the Bible App right there with you, helping you connect with peace, wisdom, and strength. Here’s what we recommend to get the most out of your time in God’s Word:|
Close friends who understand your life can encourage you to study and bring new insight to your time in the Bible. Add your friends in Bible App 5 to experience Scripture with people you know and trust.
If you’ll be traveling, did you know many Bible versions are available for offline use? Stay connected to the Bible even when you’re on a plane, on the subway, or traveling in a foreign country. Check the versions listfor your available options.
Bookmarks, Highlights, and Notes
Watch Scripture come to life, with video clips related to passages you’re reading or listening to. Go to Videos on the main Bible App menu, where you’ll find clips from films like JESUS, Son of God, and many others.
Can’t decide what to read? Plans offer you more than 800 choices — many available in several languages. You’ll find devotionals, topical studies, and whole-Bible Plans, each one designed to help you consistently, daily seek God through his Word.
Reading (and listening or watching) the Bible every day, even if it’s only a little bit each time, impacts how you see life. When you subscribe to a Bible Plan, you’re a part of a worldwide community seeking God daily. Find these Plans and more by viewing the Featured category under Plans.
YouVersion Community Favorites
Looking for more Bible Plans? Bible readers around the world recommend these noteworthy favorites. This month, we’re highlighting Plans about Pentecost and the early church, as well as family and parenting.
Bible Plans with Friends
By changing your Plan settings to “Friends,” your friends can see your daily progress and add comments of encouragement. They might even be inspired by your choice or progress and start the Plan themselves. If you haven’t already, update to Bible App 5 and add friends to start sharing the Bible together. Update to Bible App 5 now.
Tip: Use a Plan for Group Study
Does your group want to study the Bible together? Plans to the rescue! Choose a Plan, start on the same day, and see how you can bring additional insights to each other. Read each day’s content, bookmark Scripture that speaks to you, and share notes.