Have you ever read the entire Bible? It seems like a pretty big book, doesn’t it? So where do you start? What’s a good way to begin? Most people, once they decide to read the whole Bible, try to approach it like any other book: They start reading on page 1, then try to just keep going…
But of course, the Bible’s not just any book. It’s much more than that: It’s God’s Word to us, a collection of inspired books and letters, given to His people, written across thousands of years. When we take them all together, the historical accounts, wisdom, and truth recorded in the Bible give us an overarching view of God’s overwhelming love for us.
To follow through on your desire to engage with the Scriptures every day in 2011, it makes sense to start with a plan. It’s our sincere hope here at YouVersion that we’ll be able to help people read 1 billion minutes in the Bible App™ just during January. Here are just a few of the 14 approaches we’ve brought together to help carry you through God’s Word:
- The One Year ® Bible. In as little as 15 minutes a day, the One Year ® Bible in the New Living Translation (NLT) gives you daily readings from the Old Testament, the New Testament, Psalms and Proverbs.
- M’Cheyne One Year Reading Plan. Robert Murray M’Cheyne (pronounced mick-SHANE) was a Scottish minister from 1835 to 1843. His unique Bible reading plan takes you each day through 2 passages from the Old Testament, 1 from the New Testament, and 1 passage from either the Psalms or the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John). In just one year, M’Cheyne will help you read the Old Testament once and the New Testament and Psalms twice.
- Chronological. Based on recent historical research, this plan delivers your daily Bible readings in the order the events actually occurred. Reading the Bible this way helps you understand the progression of what things happened when.
- Bible in 90 Days. Make no mistake: This plan is a commitment. But the many who have gone through the entire Bible in just 90 days report that doing so helped them make lots of connections they had previously missed while in their Bible reading. You could consider it a challenge…or just a really worthwhile way to connect with God every day through His Word.
We want to help you love the Bible as much as we do. You can do this. Discover for yourself what a difference it can make to spend just a little time with God’s Word each day!
We’ve been telling you how Reading Plans can help you engage with God’s Word. A Reading Plan breaks your Bible reading into manageable chunks, making your time in the truth every day simple and straightforward. Whether you’re reading the whole Bible in a year (or in 90 days!), or just select parts, or even the most basic daily devotions, the Bible App™ by YouVersion has more than 50 plans to help you meet your goals.
Wherever you’re going to read, first you need a free YouVersion.com account (it only takes a minute). You might also consider linking your account to your social networks. If you have an iPhone, iPad, Android, or BlackBerry, click on your device or platform below for step-by-step instructions for starting and using Reading Plans:
Linking your free YouVersion account to your social networks makes it really simple to use the Bible App™ to share your thoughts about verses you’re reading. You always have control over what you share—no surprises in your Twitter or Facebook feed. Linking is an easy way to share your faith with your friends.
And setting it up is easy. It literally takes just about a minute. Here’s all you have to do:
- Go to the YouVersion.com website.
- Sign in to your free YouVersion account or, if you don’t have one already, sign up for one.
Note: If you have an existing Facebook account, you can sign up quickly with the “Sign up with Facebook” button.
- Top Right: Click your Username, then Settings.
- Right: Select the Connected Accounts tab.
- Select the Twitter tab.
- Click the “Connect to your Twitter account” link.
Note: If you’re not signed in, Twitter prompts you to sign in with your Twitter username and password.
- Click [Allow]:
- YouVersion connects your account to Twitter. (You can remove this connection at any time.)
- Select the Facebook tab.
- Click the “Connect to your Facebook account” link.
Note: If you’re not signed in, Facebook prompts you to sign in with your Facebook username and password.
- Click [Allow].
- YouVersion connects your account to Facebook. (You can remove this connection at any time.)
That’s it! You’re done, and you’re ready to let people know what you’re up to with YouVersion, anytime you feel like it, anywhere you are.
Good News: You are following a YouVersion Bible reading plan. Bad News: Some of you are having trouble accessing it.
If you are an iPhone/iPad user, you may be experiencing a problem when you try to access your reading plans from the app. This same bug is also affecting those of you that use the app to share Bible verses on Twitter and Facebook. We are very sorry and are working to make sure this does not happen again.
BUT, the good news is that we have a quick fix that can help get your Bible App working properly right now.
Simple instructions: Go to settings, sign out, and then sign in.
- Open the Bible App on your iPhone/iPad
- iPhone users: Tap on the “More” button in the menu bar and then tap on “Settings”. iPad users: Tap on the gear icon next to the search box
- Tap on “Account”
- Tap “Sign-out” (this will sign out of your YouVersion account)
- Tap “Sign-in” (this will ask you for your YouVersion username and password)
- Sign-in and the problem will be fixed.
We are very sorry about any disruption you may have experienced. We want to be sure you know about the fix right away so that you can continue to make the Bible a part of your daily life.
Share YouVersion with your friends….it’s simple!
Allow me take a few moments to share with you how YouVersion.com makes sharing the Bible with your friends extremely simple.
First, navigate your mouse and click on INVITE link at the top right of your browser. It will take you to the YouVersion.com/Invite page. Two options are available.
The first option is “Invite a friend from your address book.”
Simply enter your Gmail, Yahoo Mail, Hotmail, AOL Mail, etc., email address and password. YouVersion will import your address book and you can send invites to all of your contacts.
The second option is to send YouVersion.com directly to one person at a time. After clicking the INVITE link, you will navigate to the bottom of the page. Here you will see “Invite a friend right now!”
At this point, enter your friend’s email address as well as your email and a personal message….and that’s it.
Sharing the Bible has never been more convenient. Please, take a moment and share YouVersion.com with some of your friends. You can start right now by clicking here.
Did you know…?
YouVersion currently has twelve translations (nine English & three Spanish). And it’s easy to choose a translation!
When you first visit the YouVersion page, you’ll notice the default is the KJV. To change translations, simply click on the current translation name.
Then select your preferred translation!
As always we appreciate your feedback on how to make YouVersion more interactive and engaging. Feel free to send more thoughts our way!
Count this also as Tips & Tricks…
Use your Home/End button to goto Previous/Next Chapter.
Use your Page Up/Page Down button to goto Previous/Next section.
Use your scroll wheel to scroll the Bible reader.