Update 2.0.3 was pushed out earlier this week…you might have already seen some of the amazing new features and fixes. Here is the punch list of new features and updates:
- Implement a new widget in the Reader, it’s an audio Bible with many translations to choose from and is powered by Faith Comes by Hearing.
- Implement short URLs (read.ly), this can be seen in the Link to Reference widget in the Reader.
- URL has been setup at http://www.youversion.com/download that will take anyone who visits the URL from their Blackberry, iPhone or Android device straight to the correct place to download the app for their phone. If you’re coming from a mobile device not listed, it sends you to m.youversion.com automatically.
- Book, chapter and version pickers in the Reader now scroll down to the position you are currently at when opened.
- If you search for a reference (ex John 3:16) it will now take you straight to the Reader. If you do this while on the Reader page, there is no page refresh it just loads the chapter/verse up instantly.
- You can also do a search for reference on the mobile site (m.youversion.com) to jump straight to a chapter/verse. This makes navigation on the mobile site much easier now.
- All HTMLs sent from YouVersion.com (sign up, invite, following, etc) are in plain text instead of HTML emails, this makes it easier to read on a mobile device.
- Parallel reading has been greatly improved. We now only sync the right side with the left, so if you’re scrolling the left side, the right side will attempt to sync but if you start scrolling the right it stays independent. The main reason for doing this was to cut down on some of the erratic behavior that can start to happen in certain situations (screen sizes, etc). It has made the Parallel mode a lot more stable and usable.
- Duplication of “likes” on your Likes page.
- Sometimes after removing a “like” it would still show up on your Likes page.
- If you “liked” something in the Reader, it wouldn’t show up on the individual contribution page for that item that you had liked it, thereby presenting you with another “Like” button but then throwing an error.
- Sometimes switching versions it would not line back up to the verse you were on in the previous version.
- When in Reader and highlighting verses, if only one contribution was found for the verse(s) highlighted there would be a navigation error that made it impossible to view the contribution content.
- Now you can type just the book name in the Reader input field (ex Genesis) and it will take you to Genesis 1:1, before it would throw an error.
- Bug in Safari on Community page where display formatting would get messed up under certain orders of contributions, likes, bookmarks, etc.
- Links in Daily Reading RSS feed now go to the right location.
- HTML code for the last badge on the Badges page was the code for the one above it, this has been fixed.
- Many other minor bug fixes.
Look for a few blog posts in the near future highlighting some of these new features! Thanks again for your support, and Happy YouVersion’ing!
Update 2.0.2 was pushed early this afternoon with the following features/fixes:
- Now you can create/edit journal entries in Bible reader page
- Invite your friends – step-by-step process to invite friends across your social networks
- Post YouVersion badges and search bars on your site from the Badges page
- When you press the bookmark/tag/like button and have no verse selected – top verse is highlighted
- Fixed minor sign in bug
- Page through contributions in widget with next/previous button
If you haven’t checked out the new look of m.youversion.com
, now would be a good time! YouVersion mobile has undergone a significant redesign, offering you access to your profile while also putting you one click away from the Bible Reader! Some of the other features include:
- Sign-up for a new account,
- Sign-in and access your profile,
- View contributions and users profile,
- Add a new journal entry tied to scripture,
- And view all the translations and versions available to YouVersion web users.
Access YouVersion mobile from any web enabled phone and engage in Scripture like never before, utilizing the YouVersion community’s contributions and adding your own thoughts to the scripture text via the journal.
[NOTICE: IE 6 users will be automatically redirected to m.youversion.com – to access the full site we recommend downloading IE 7 or Mozilla Firefox to access the full site.]
As we roll out YouVersion updates you will be able to check back here for a description of the features added and bugs fixed. We are working hard to enhance YouVersion to give you the best possible online space for Biblical engagement. Update 2.0.1 was pushed yesterday afternoon with the following features/fixes:
- Redirected all old url links to new YouVersion (so you don’t have to go back and update your links)
- Daily Reading RSS is now available
- Recent Contributions RSS is now available
- All links on the reader page bring up sign-in lightbox
- Improved User search
- Verse highlighting in Reader will highlight range of verses
- Fixed bug in Daily Reading Widget
- Fixed bug in Journal Create
- Bookmarks now show the correct version you bookmarked verse in
- Sign in with Email now avail
- Fixed scroll to problem in Reader
- Reader saves version, reference location, and widget order
After much anticipation YouVersion 2.0 has launched! Here’s a look at what’s new, as well as some things to look forward to in the coming months:
- A new design: We have given YouVersion a facelift, making the Bible reader the first place you land. Anyone can browse Scripture immediately upon hitting the site, giving people direct access to the Bible with fewer clicks.
- Widgetized: The right window pane now contains contribution, daily reading, and journal widgets that can be organized within the pane. See what you want, where you want it!
- Tag, Bookmark, and Link: Now found in one area above the widgets, this new location gives you the ability to organize your thoughts and readings without ever having to leave the Bible Reader.
- Parallel Readers: Want to see the what two different versions have to say about Matthew 5-7? Now you can compare NIV and The Message without having to grab two different Bibles. It can also be used to read two different languages – read in English on one side and Korean on the other. Or if you want to read the Sermon on the Mount in Mark and Matthew, you can un-sync the parallel readers and browse separately. [keyboard shortcut = control + option + p]
- My Page: Take a look at the contributions of those you are following, and see your likes, bookmarks, contributions, and journal entries.
- Community Page: A global view of YouVersion user activity, the community page is your place to engage with the YouVersion community. See what people are contributing, liking, and tagging!
- Mobile Pages: Access the mobile apps (iPhone, BlackBerry and other mobile devices) through these specific mobile pages. Download instructions and compatibility specifics are found within these pages.
They say seven is a symbolic number… so we’ll stop there, but be on the lookout for much more to come as we turn our attention to mobile, tying in user interaction from mobile to web to give you seamless integration from your mobile device to your home computer or laptop. Also look for an updated <a href=”http://m.youversion.com”>m.youversion.com</a> in the coming weeks, with the ability to log-in and add journal entries from your phone.
We’re excited to get this update out the door and in your hands! It’s been an exciting few months here at LifeChurch.tv as we’ve spent many hours designing, tweaking and developing this release. YouVersion first launched in September 2007, promoting online Scripture engagement through a community of dedicated users. Our desire was to make the Bible accessible and spur users to engage with Scripture through their contributions of text, links, photos and videos. With the addition of the iPhone Bible app in July 2008 and the Blackberry app in October, it has become evident that YouVersion was experiencing momentum and plans to enhance YouVersion began to fall into place.
We want to take a moment and give praise to God for the awesome opportunity He has given us to further Biblical interaction using the Web! We also want to thank you for the valuable contributions you have made (and will continue to make) to YouVersion. With every contribution, you show that engagement with Scripture is valuable to your spiritual journey!