Now you can experience both YouVersion.com and the Bible App™ entirely in Chinese! While we’ve offered both Simplified and Traditional Chinese as individual language options at YouVersion.com for months, what we’re announcing today is much more than that. When the YouVersion community formally launches an additional language, what that means is that every single interaction you can have with YouVersion’s tools and community is now available completely in that language. Chinese is our fourth total language launch. (English was first, followed by Norwegian and Spanish.)
Specifically, here are all the ways that the YouVersion community (that’s you!) can now engage with God’s Word in Chinese:
- Great Chinese Bibles. YouVersion’s partners have graciously provided our community with several high quality, widely read Chinese versions of the Bible. (To see the full list, check 简体中文 and 繁體中文 near the bottom of the Versions page or, in the Bible App, click to change your current version and scroll to see the available Chinese versions.)
- Entire User Interface. Thanks once again to our world-changing community of YouVersion volunteers, when you select Simplified or Traditional Chinese as the default language on your device—whether on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Android, or BlackBerry—the Bible App displays all of your controls and menu options in that language.
- Communication in Chinese. Volunteers now make relevant YouVersion blog posts available in Simplified and Traditional Chinese. And when you initiate communication with YouVersion in Chinese, your email and other responses will be in Chinese as well.
- Support in Chinese. Now, you can even get help with the Bible App and YouVersion.com in Simplified or Traditional Chinese! When you have questions, YouVersion volunteers who speak Chinese will be happy to assist you.
YouVersion’s vision has always been simple: To help people connect freely with God’s Word, as easily as possible, no matter where they live or what language they speak. If your friends’ or loved ones’ heart language is Chinese, please share this great news about YouVersion.com and the Bible App with them. And be sure to come connect with us on Facebook and Twitter. We love hearing from you!
Keep checking back… To all our new Chinese speakers: Welcome to our YouVersion family! We’re thrilled to have you join us. Over the next couple of weeks here on our blog, we’ll be providing more details about each individual piece of the complete Chinese launch. We’re excited to share with you all that our community has to offer!
We want to make connecting with God’s Word as simple and as fast as possible for the YouVersion BlackBerry community, no matter where you are. The Bible App™ for BlackBerry offers you several exciting new features in the latest release, version 3.3, available immediately in BlackBerry App World or as a direct browser download:
- Dashboard. The brand new Dashboard launcher gives you instant access to the features you use most, directly from the completely redesigned welcome screen!
- Notifications. New Notifications help the Bible App communicate with you how you want, letting you know when you reach milestones like completing a reading plan, or sharing important YouVersion news with you, right inside the app.
- Support. Now you can get assistance fast, connecting directly with YouVersion’s Support team—again, from right inside the Bible App.
Let us know what you think on Facebook and Twitter, and please be sure to spread the news to all your friends who have BlackBerry devices!
YouVersion now has another helpful widget for the Bible App™ for Android. The Bible Verse of the Day widget displays an inspirational verse every day, right on your device’s home screen. If you’d like to read the verse in its context, simply tap it, and the widget will take you directly to that verse in the Bible App reader.
Also included in this release—thanks once again to the world-changing community of YouVersion volunteers—is the addition of Ukrainian, Norwegian, Italian, Romanian and Japanese as interface options. What that means is that when you select one of these as the default language for your device, you’ll see all of the controls and menu options for the Bible App in that same language.
To get this widget and the new language options, you’ll need to update to the newest version of the Bible App for Android, version 3.1, available immediately in the Android App Market.
How to Add Your Widget:
Note: Remember, you have to update to the newest version first.
- Go to your Home screen.
- Make room on your Home screen for another widget
(removing other unused icons and widgets if necessary).
- Tap Menu.
- Tap Add.
- Tap Widgets.
- Tap the “Bible (Verse of the Day)” item.
They’re here! Free audio Bibles are now immediately available in the Bible App™ for BlackBerry. If you have a BlackBerry device, before you can try out audio Bibles, you’ll first need to get the latest version of the Bible App™ for BlackBerry, 3.2, either from BlackBerry App World or as a direct browser download.
Once you’ve updated your device, you’ll be able to listen to the Bible being read to you in your car, while you’re exercising, while you’re working, or even as you read along. So far, the Bibles you can listen to include:
- New International Version (NIV)
- English Standard Version (ESV)
- New Living Translation (NLT)
- King James Version (KJV) Listener’s Bible
- Douay-Rheims (DRA) New Testament Audio Bible
- Chinese Standard Bible (CSB)
- American Standard Version (ASV) New Testament
- La Biblia de las Américas (LBLA), and
- World English Bible (WEB)
And this is only the beginning, so be sure to keep checking back. Even more Bibles are coming, in even more languages!
For almost three years now, our dedicated iOS YouVersion community (iPhone, iPod touch, and more recently, iPad) has been engaging with and sharing God’s Word through their Apple devices. And during that time, regular app updates have debuted new languages and features like social connections, offline versions, notes, and of course reading plans. Today we’re thrilled to share the dawn of the all-new, next generation of the Bible App™ for iOS: VERSION 3.0.
This complete overhaul makes connecting with the Bible simpler and more flexible than ever before. You can find a complete feature list at the end of this post, but here are just a few highlights (click the images to enlarge):
- Audio Bibles. From the main Bible Reader, you’ll be able to have the Bible read to you (a full list of the audio versions available at launch is below). Although not in this release, audio Bibles will even be coming soon to the reader in your Reading Plan!
- Easier Reading. With the words of Christ in red (in participating versions) and adjustable brightness, contrast, and fonts, you’ll be able to read clearly in any light, making your text the size and look that’s most comfortable for your eyes.
- Dashboard Launcher. You’ll be able to directly access the most commonly used features from the newly designed welcome screen. (Many of these features will just be one click away on most other screens too.)
- Recent Activity. A quick chronological list helps you see everything you’ve done while you’ve been using the Bible App, with each item just one tap away from jumping right back to it.
As soon as Version 3.0 hits the iTunes App Store, you can be sure we’ll announce it here and on Facebook and Twitter. But even more great tools are on the horizon. Besides everything you see here, still to come in a future release…
- Audio for reading plans
- Improved Bookmarks with addition of Highlighting
- All-new, easier navigation for books, chapters and verses
Version 3.1.2, the latest release of the Bible App™ for BlackBerry, is available immediately from BlackBerry App World or as a direct browser download.
In our last release, you might remember that we introduced Russian and Portuguese as language interface options for BlackBerry. Today we’re happy to add Korean and Dutch to that list. This means that if you set your BlackBerry’s default language to any of these, the Bible App’s controls will display for you in that language.
YouVersion’s awesome volunteer community is who makes this happen. If you’d like to see more languages added to the Bible App on BlackBerry—and you’re available to help with the translation of our interface—let us know by signing up as a volunteer.
You should find that this new release loads faster and more smoothly handles connections to your service provider or the Internet. We’ve also addressed the “File not found” error that some users were seeing on some devices when using offline Bible translations. Speaking of offline translations, if you haven’t already heard about that feature, be sure to check it out. You can learn more about it here.
The newest release of the Bible App™ for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, version 2.7.2, is available now in the iTunes App Store, or as a direct browser download. This update includes performance enhancements and bug fixes, perhaps most significantly the one that corrects the error that was causing the Bible App to crash on iPads.
In our last release, you might remember that we improved our language interface options for German, Spanish and Chinese. Today we’re pleased to be adding Korean, French, Russian, Portuguese, Dutch and Slovak to that ever-growing list. What this means is that users who set their iOS device to one of these languages will experience the Bible App’s controls natively in that language. This is only possible through the dedication and commitment of YouVersion’s terrific volunteers. Speaking of which…if there’s a language you would like us to add—and you can help us with the translation of our interface—we’d love to hear from you. Let us know how you’d be willing to help and sign up as a volunteer.
If you enjoy using the Bible App on your Apple device, we’d love it if you’d share it with friends, whether in person or online at sites like Facebook, Twitter, or other places where you connect. And as we continue trying to help more and more people around the world daily engage with the Bible, we’d especially appreciate you spreading the word to your friends who speak languages other than English.