Here at YouVersion, we want to make the Bible App as helpful as it can be on every mobile platform. That’s why today we’re pleased to announce: Notes are now ready for Android! (Available immediately.) If you’ve used notes before on YouVersion.com or on one of our other platforms, hopefully you already know how they work.
Here’s a quick primer:
- Associate notes with a passage. Find the verse or passage you want to comment on and select it. When the options menu pops up, tap Notes. To add your note, tap Create New.
- Add notes freely. You don’t have to tie a note to a passage. You can add a freeform note about anything you want. Just tap the Notes tab to get started.
- Other things notes do. To post a note to Twitter or Facebook, open the note, tap menu, then tap “Share.” If you see a note that contains inappropriate content, select the note, tap menu, then tap “Report.” We’ll flag it and have a look at it for review.
When you’re adding a note, be sure you take a moment to indicate how you want to share it:
- Draft. If your note still needs a little time to “gel” before you’re ready to share it, mark it as Draft. This keeps it private just to you, but you can tell it still needs work.
- Private. No one else can see notes that you mark as Private. Most of us here at YouVersion use this feature primarily for journaling, collecting the things we sense that God is showing us in what we’re reading.
- Public. Public notes are visible to everyone. Reading other people’s notes and then adding your own is one of the best ways to connect and share your Bible reading experience with others.
- Publish on: Your note is basically marked as Private for now, then on the date you specify, its status will flip to Public.
TIP: You can change a note back and forth between the different categories at any time.
We’re so glad to be able to bring notes to the Bible App on your Android device. We still have lots more enhancements and features heading your way, but in the meantime, we hope you’ll take full advantage of all of the Bible tools you already have in your hands. We also hope you’ll use the Bible App’s connecting features to engage the other people in your circles of influence with the things that God is saying to you through His Word!
If you use the Bible App from YouVersion on your iPhone, then we imagine you might have watched with just the slightest twinge of envy as you’ve seen notes come to some of our other platforms. Your wait is over! As long as you’re signed in to your free YouVersion account, you’re ready to start adding notes:
- General notes. You can add a note at any time, and it can be about anything. Simply tap the Notes tab.
- Connected to a passage. Of course, you can link a note directly to a single verse. Just tap the verse you want to comment on, then tap Notes on the options menu that displays. To add yours, tap Create New. (You can even add additional verses—and remove verses—from their association with a note.)
- Connect with community. “Share” any note to post it to Twitter or Facebook, “Like” a note to display it in a list of your favorite Notes on your profile on YouVersion.com, even “Report” a note to flag it as inappropriate.
Important! For any note you make: Give it a title, then mark whether you want to share it:
- Draft. A note “in progress”—one that’s not quite ready for prime time.
- Private. Only you will see this note. This is a great way to journal for yourself about the things that God is showing you in His Word.
- Public. Your note will be visible by anyone. One of the greatest benefits of notes, public notes allow others to share in your journey through the Scriptures—and you in theirs.
- Publish on: The note will be Private for now, but it will become Public on the date you specify.
TIP: You can change a note back and forth between the different sharing options at any time.
Many of you have been asking us to bring notes to the iPhone for a long time now, so of course we’re thrilled to be able to provide it for you. But this is still just the beginning. We’re really excited about all the continued advancements and improvements still to come. In the meantime, enjoy your Bible! And please share your experience with others!
We announced last Friday that you could take notes on YouVersion
on the web. That same notes feature is now available on BlackBerry!
Associate with a verse. Notes are pretty straightforward. When you select a verse and click Notes, you’ll see all of the public notes associated with that passage. To add your own, just click New Note.
Make a general note. You don’t have to associate a note with a specific verse. You can take one at any time. Simply go to the dashboard, select Notes, and go!
For any note: Give your note a title, and then select from the following options:
- Draft. A note “in progress” that you’re not ready to share yet.
- Private. Only you will see this note. (You can use this feature to journal what God’s showing you in His Word.)
- Public. Anyone will be able to see this note.
- Publish on: Schedule the date you want this note to become public.
TIP: You can change a note back and forth between private and public at any time.
Interact with notes. You can “Share” a note to post it to Twitter or Facebook, “Like” a note to put it in your Facebook newsfeed, or even “Report” a note to flag it as inappropriate content.
As we learn how you guys use notes in the Bible App going forward, we’ll continue modifying this feature to make sure it is as helpful as possible. Give it a try and go add some notes on your BlackBerry. And look for continuing development for the Bible App on BlackBerry over the coming months–cool things are ahead!
During our webcast this past Tuesday, one great question submitted through Twitter was, “When will we be able to take notes?” Terry Storch, our Digerati Pastor, answered that we planned to roll notes out on Friday. Happy Friday, everybody… Notes are here now!
What notes are. You can use notes to collect your thoughts, keep track of what God’s Spirit is saying to you, and even to share your insights and ideas with your friends. You can associate a note directly with a verse or passage (sort of like a bookmark with context), or you can just record your thoughts generally. As long as you’re signed in to your YouVersion account, your notes go where you go.
Notes come in two flavors:
- Public. When you create a new note, its default setting is public. This means that anyone will be able to see it.
- Private. You can mark any note as private at any time. That means no one can see it but you.
TIP: You can change a note back and forth between private and public at any time.
Start now. To add a note, just click the big Create New button and fill in the blanks. (Be sure to specify whether you want your note to be Private or Public.) Looking at an existing note is easy: Just click on it. Click Back to return to the list, or click the arrow buttons to scroll backwards and forwards through notes.
We’ll continue to refine the notes feature as we gain insight from how YouVersion users interact with it…and remember, notes will be rolling out to all our major mobile apps as well, so look for an update to your Bible App soon!
By the time you read this, we will have already launched the all-new, from-scratch YouVersion Bible App for Facebook. From entirely within Facebook, the Bible App makes it easy to:
- Read the Bible
- Switch between different Bible translations
- Jump directly to specific books, chapters, or verses
- Select verses or passages and share them, publishing them to your Wall and to your Friends’ home pages
Here’s a quick look at what you can already do in the Bible App (click to enlarge):
We know many of you enjoy spending time in Facebook. And we’d be happy for you to spend even more, especially if that means you’re connecting with God’s Word—and sharing it with others. Eventually, we even hope to bring most of the same features inside our Facebook app that you’ve come to know and love on other platforms. Go check it out and let us know what you think!
With version 2.5 of the YouVersion Bible app for BlackBerry, we’ve added the ability to bookmark verses for quick access later. Bookmarking is a popular feature on iPhone, iPad, Android and our other mobile apps, and we’re excited to deliver this feature to more than 2 million BlackBerry users.
Bookmarking a verse is simple. Just select a verse, hit the menu button, and choose “Bookmark Verse” from the menu. Now that verse will be listed among your bookmarks, which you can reach from the app dashboard.
And, since many of our mobile app users also enjoy engaging Scripture on their computer at YouVersion.com, your bookmarks will also sync with your YouVersion account so you’ll have them anywhere you use YouVersion to read the Bible.
We have lots of new features coming down the pipeline for all of our mobile apps, so keep an eye out for great updates rolling out fast and furious. You’ll see things like the ability to share Bible verses via SMS (text message) and inside BlackBerry Messenger as well as faster load times and an updated dashboard design.
Also on the horizon is a revamp of YouVersion Contributions and Journals. We have big plans for them and can’t wait roll those changes out to you. Of course, that’s all we can say right now, but we know you’ll love the changes and what you’ll be able to do within your Bible app in the coming weeks.