They’re here! Free audio Bibles are now immediately available in the Bible App™ for BlackBerry. If you have a BlackBerry device, before you can try out audio Bibles, you’ll first need to get the latest version of the Bible App™ for BlackBerry, 3.2, either from BlackBerry App World or as a direct browser download.
Once you’ve updated your device, you’ll be able to listen to the Bible being read to you in your car, while you’re exercising, while you’re working, or even as you read along. So far, the Bibles you can listen to include:
- New International Version (NIV)
- English Standard Version (ESV)
- New Living Translation (NLT)
- King James Version (KJV) Listener’s Bible
- Douay-Rheims (DRA) New Testament Audio Bible
- Chinese Standard Bible (CSB)
- American Standard Version (ASV) New Testament
- La Biblia de las Américas (LBLA), and
- World English Bible (WEB)
And this is only the beginning, so be sure to keep checking back. Even more Bibles are coming, in even more languages!
For almost three years now, our dedicated iOS YouVersion community (iPhone, iPod touch, and more recently, iPad) has been engaging with and sharing God’s Word through their Apple devices. And during that time, regular app updates have debuted new languages and features like social connections, offline versions, notes, and of course reading plans. Today we’re thrilled to share the dawn of the all-new, next generation of the Bible App™ for iOS: VERSION 3.0.
This complete overhaul makes connecting with the Bible simpler and more flexible than ever before. You can find a complete feature list at the end of this post, but here are just a few highlights (click the images to enlarge):
- Audio Bibles. From the main Bible Reader, you’ll be able to have the Bible read to you (a full list of the audio versions available at launch is below). Although not in this release, audio Bibles will even be coming soon to the reader in your Reading Plan!
- Easier Reading. With the words of Christ in red (in participating versions) and adjustable brightness, contrast, and fonts, you’ll be able to read clearly in any light, making your text the size and look that’s most comfortable for your eyes.
- Dashboard Launcher. You’ll be able to directly access the most commonly used features from the newly designed welcome screen. (Many of these features will just be one click away on most other screens too.)
- Recent Activity. A quick chronological list helps you see everything you’ve done while you’ve been using the Bible App, with each item just one tap away from jumping right back to it.
As soon as Version 3.0 hits the iTunes App Store, you can be sure we’ll announce it here and on Facebook and Twitter. But even more great tools are on the horizon. Besides everything you see here, still to come in a future release…
- Audio for reading plans
- Improved Bookmarks with addition of Highlighting
- All-new, easier navigation for books, chapters and verses
Version 3.1.2, the latest release of the Bible App™ for BlackBerry, is available immediately from BlackBerry App World or as a direct browser download.
In our last release, you might remember that we introduced Russian and Portuguese as language interface options for BlackBerry. Today we’re happy to add Korean and Dutch to that list. This means that if you set your BlackBerry’s default language to any of these, the Bible App’s controls will display for you in that language.
YouVersion’s awesome volunteer community is who makes this happen. If you’d like to see more languages added to the Bible App on BlackBerry—and you’re available to help with the translation of our interface—let us know by signing up as a volunteer.
You should find that this new release loads faster and more smoothly handles connections to your service provider or the Internet. We’ve also addressed the “File not found” error that some users were seeing on some devices when using offline Bible translations. Speaking of offline translations, if you haven’t already heard about that feature, be sure to check it out. You can learn more about it here.
The newest release of the Bible App™ for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, version 2.7.2, is available now in the iTunes App Store, or as a direct browser download. This update includes performance enhancements and bug fixes, perhaps most significantly the one that corrects the error that was causing the Bible App to crash on iPads.
In our last release, you might remember that we improved our language interface options for German, Spanish and Chinese. Today we’re pleased to be adding Korean, French, Russian, Portuguese, Dutch and Slovak to that ever-growing list. What this means is that users who set their iOS device to one of these languages will experience the Bible App’s controls natively in that language. This is only possible through the dedication and commitment of YouVersion’s terrific volunteers. Speaking of which…if there’s a language you would like us to add—and you can help us with the translation of our interface—we’d love to hear from you. Let us know how you’d be willing to help and sign up as a volunteer.
If you enjoy using the Bible App on your Apple device, we’d love it if you’d share it with friends, whether in person or online at sites like Facebook, Twitter, or other places where you connect. And as we continue trying to help more and more people around the world daily engage with the Bible, we’d especially appreciate you spreading the word to your friends who speak languages other than English.
We’ve just released the newest update for the Bible App™ for Windows Phone 7. This latest release, version 1.4, addresses some bugs and performance issues. But the really big news here is the Bible reader. We rewrote the reader portion of the application from scratch to make it more responsive and easier to use. You can get version 1.4 now at the Windows Marketplace for Mobile.
Today we’re pleased to announce the single feature requested most by our BlackBerry users: Access to Bible translations for use offline. You can immediately download this newest version of the Bible App™, v. 3.0, through your browser or by visiting BlackBerry App World.
Other features. Our previous BlackBerry release included German, French, and Traditional and Simplified Chinese; this time, we’re adding to that Russian and Portuguese. And speaking of languages, the default Bible version the Bible App displays reflects the language you set for your device. Finally, you should notice when you open it that the Bible App loads much faster now.
Important! To download an offline translation, your device must:
- Be running BlackBerry 5.0 OS or newer.
- Have an SD media card with at least 50 MB of free space.
What’s offline use? In the past, BlackBerry users have not had access to Bible translations unless connected to the Internet or your service provider. Now, for the first time on BlackBerry, once you’ve downloaded a Bible version to your BlackBerry’s SD card, you’ll be able to read it anytime, anywhere—whether you’re online or not.
How you can get your free offline versions:
Make sure you’re connected to the Internet or to your service provider. Then, from the Bible reader:
- Select the top bar, where the current translation is presently displayed.
- All versions display in alphabetical order by language. Any translation with a download icon (a box with an arrow pointing down) means it’s available as an offline version. Select that version’s download icon.
- Follow the instructions and select the large Download button.
The next version (v 2.9) of the Bible App™ for BlackBerry is available now. Get it at BlackBerry App World or download it here through your browser. One feature we’re thrilled to announce is the inclusion of Simplified and Traditional Chinese, right in the interface! If you know anyone who’d like a free, easy-to-read, easy-to-share Bible in Chinese, please let them know about the Bible App, powered by YouVersion.
All around, we’ve worked really hard to make this a terrific release, packed with improvements:
- To give you a better overall reading experience, we’ve added headings, translation notes, even the words of Christ in red where the translation provides them. You can also change the font directly inside the Bible reader now.
- The Arabic translation is now right-aligned, making it much easier to read.
- Besides Simplified and Traditional Chinese, we’ve also added German and French interface support.
- We updated and improved our Spanish interface, so it should be easier for native Spanish speakers.
- And of course, what would any release be without bug fixes and performance enhancements?
Do you love reading the Bible on your BlackBerry? Have you told your friends about it yet? Please consider sharing your favorite Bible App features on Facebook and Twitter. We’d be honored if you’d show your friends how easy the Bible App is to get and how it works. (Especially friends whose native language isn’t English.)
A new release, v. 1.3, is now available for the Bible App™ by YouVersion on Windows Phone 7! You can update yours at Marketplace for Mobile right now. While this release contains the typical “bug fixes and performance enhancements,” the feature we’ve actually worked the hardest to bring you is Reading Plans.
When you select a Reading Plan (from a list of more than 50), YouVersion gives you a simple schedule with a little to read each day. A Reading Plan is an easy, focused way to read through whatever you’re interested in in the Bible. And if you happen to miss a day here and there (everybody does sometimes), just tap the “catch up” button, and the Bible App will reset your reading schedule accordingly.
Once you have the Bible App installed on your Windows phone, just go to Reading Plans and browse for the one you want. You can sign up at YouVersion.com for progress update emails for yourself or an accountability partner. It’s never to late to get started!
Just think about it: This could be the year you really connect with the Bible. You can try a plan that takes you through the Bible in a year, or just select parts, even specific topics and daily devotionals. If you’re looking for a challenge, we even have one plan that will help you read the entire Bible in just 90 days!
Be sure to connect your account with your social networks and share your thoughts about what you’re reading with your friends on Facebook and Twitter.