In the YouVersion community, we love the Bible. We believe it has the power to change lives. We hear all the time from people who have experienced the extraordinary reach of God’s Word–through just a simple app on their mobile device. Reuniting with a faith left behind years ago, finding just the right words to encourage a friend, receiving confirming inspiration in precisely the moment of need–all are examples we hear again and again in our community.Today we’d like to share with you a few specific stories, directly from people touched by the Bible during difficult times in their lives, in their own words. God is using the Bible App™ to make His Word always available to meet people’s needs–no matter where they are:
“I have really enjoyed the upgrades to the Bible App over the past two years. Recently, I was able to surprise my uncle while he was in the hospital, not just showing him Scripture and how many different versions of the Bible are available, but by allowing him to hear it actually read aloud by the software.” —George B.
“I love having the ability to look up any word in the Bible and see it display all of the associated Scriptures right away. I have a disability that prevents me from doing much typing, so I love that I can share Scriptures without having to type the words. I believe this is the best Bible application available. Thank you for the Bible App, YouVersion!” —Cherie S.
“I love having the Bible on my iPhone. I have cataracts at 73 years of age and I can see the backlit words better and read faster. I’ve read as many 19 chapters in one sitting! And it’s the only Bible I take to church now.” —Mary D.
What’s Your Story?
If YouVersion and the Bible App have helped you connect with God’s Word more, we’d love to hear your story. Please join the conversation on Facebook or Twitter, or you can get in touch with us directly using the form below.
Our simple mission at YouVersion is to make it easy for everyone to freely engage with the Bible, no matter where they live or what language they speak. And of course, our connection to God through His Word is made so much richer when we share that experience with others. We love hearing stories from our YouVersion community about how you use the Bible App™ in your everyday life, and about what it means to you. Here are just a few of the things that people from all over the world have been telling us:
“The Bible App has been a true blessing! I’m able to keep the Word with me every day! I study the Bible more using the index, reading Bible chapters from start to finish…. And the daily encouraging messages are such a helpful way to start the day off right.”
“Having the Bible with me all the time has made me fall in love with the Word of God all over again. The convenience is wonderful to have, and I appreciate that I can search and have numerous versions right in the palm of my hand.”
“I found the Bible App on my husband’s phone a little over a year ago. I asked him about it because he was a ‘non-believer.’ He told me had been reading it, and last June he came home a NEW man! Now he’s on fire for Christ! He even uses the Bible App to witness to his friends. I promise you this app was divinely placed on his phone!”
What’s your story?
What about you? Has the Bible App changed the way you connect with the Bible? We’d love to hear from you on Facebook, Twitter, or on the form below. What’s your story?
Working together with YouVersion, Monvee has integrated YouVersion’s tools into their customizable online spiritual assessment and growth tool. This means that for the first time, if you have a Monvee account, you can directly reach your YouVersion notes, bookmarks, and Bible reading plans—right from your Monvee User Dashboard!
Every month, millions of us in the YouVersion community add bookmarks and save notes in YouVersion. Whether you’re recording private reflections, sharing your insights on certain passages, or just thinking aloud, notes are a great way to capture what God’s Word is speaking to you wherever you are. Of course, a quick bookmark is a great way you can “mark your place” to return to a key verse later. Now, you can easily look up Scriptures and write notes relevant to your journey—all from the convenience of your Monvee spiritual plan.
We’re excited about working with Monvee and appreciate the value they place on daily Scripture engagement. You can find out more about Monvee’s features, tools, and services at their website.
YouVersion.com and the Bible App™ (on iPhone/iPad/iPod touch, BlackBerry, and Android) are now available entirely in Russian. What this means is that for every interaction you have with the YouVersion community, if you like, you may connect completely in Russian. Whether it’s reading high quality translations of the Bible, using menus and other tools, reading recent blog posts, requesting and receiving technical support from native speakers—even in direct communications with YouVersion through Facebook and Twitter or email—YouVersion’s incredible volunteers are bringing Russian to you.
Russian represents our fifth complete language launch, after Norwegian, Spanish, Chinese, and of course English. But this is only the beginning. YouVersion’s vision is to make the Bible freely available to as many people as possible, no matter where they live or what language they speak. If you have friends and loved ones who might enjoy engaging with God’s Word in Russian, please let them know about YouVersion’s exciting new options. And keep checking this space—we’ll be sharing more Russian language news here in the coming weeks!
We’re happy to announce that the Segond 21 version of the Bible, published for the first time by the Geneva Society in 2007, is now available at YouVersion.com and in the Bible App™. We hope you’ll be as excited as we are—Segond 21 is one of the versions most requested by the YouVersion community!
The Segond 21 version took 12 years of dedicated translation work based on original Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek texts, but it also incorporates more recently available information. According to Wikipedia, this Bible’s sponsors describe it as “L’original, avec les mots d’aujourd’hui”. Segond 21 has been a top-selling Bible among French speakers, making an appearance in the top 200 books sold at Amazon France. In fact, in their category for spirituality/Christian books, it’s even number one!
At YouVersion, we’re passionate about making God’s Word freely available to as many people as possible, wherever they live. And engaging with the Bible in the language of your heart provides a deep, rich connection with God’s great story of love, and with your faith. If you have friends and loved ones who you think might enjoy reading the Segond 21, please let them know!
If you have friends or loved ones who might enjoy engaging with God’s Word in Chinese—whether Traditional or Simplified—please let them know that YouVersion has something just for them. YouVersion would like to take this opportunity to formally thank the publishers of the Chinese New Version for making their Bible versions available to our community, both in Simplified Chinese (CNVS) and Traditional Chinese (CNV). We’d also like to express our gratitude to Biblica for making available the Chinese Contemporary Bible (CCB), and to Holman for their Chinese Standard Bible (CSB). And we’re very happy to announce today a new partnership with Hong Kong Bible Society that allows us to soon offer you updated punctuated versions of the Chinese Union Version (CUV) and the Chinese Union Simplified Version (CUVS) as well as their Revised Chinese Union Version Simplified Bible (RCUV and RCUVS). Be on the lookout for these great additions, coming soon for offline access as well!
YouVersion’s simple mission has always been to make the Bible freely available to as many people as possible. Each of these generous partners understands the tremendous opportunity God is giving us to together reach this generation of Chinese speakers and readers: with the story of His love. We are honored and deeply grateful for them to join us.
If you’ve been keeping up with recent announcements in the YouVersion community, you may have noticed some significant developments in our Chinese language efforts: more Bibles in Chinese, translating the Bible App’s interface into both Simplified and Traditional Chinese, and communication and technical support in both languages. Here’s why we’re especially excited about all of these things:
- Number of People. YouVersion’s simple mission is to make it easy for as many people as possible to freely engage with the Bible, no matter where they live. And Chinese speakers represent one of the largest people groups in the world. According to The World Factbook, the population of mainland China alone is now more than 1.3 billion people. Wikipedia estimates that some 40 million additional “Overseas Chinese” live outside the country. Although large concentrations of Chinese are present in Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, the United States, and Singapore, the truth is, a lot of Chinese people live almost everywhere in the world.
- The Written Word. Several decades ago, in an effort to raise literacy, the Chinese government “simplified” the way that many Chinese characters are formed. Their hope was that if characters were less complicated to write than the “traditional” forms, more people would learn to read and write them. Today, both of these written forms are now practiced by Chinese, depending largely on how they were taught as children, and also on their personal preferences. Because these two written forms are now the most popular among Chinese the world over, YouVersion’s amazing volunteers have worked tirelessly to translate YouVersion’s interfaces and services into both Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese. This even includes technical support! (Check it out in Simplified or Traditional.)
- Spoken Languages. The most commonly spoken Chinese dialects are Standard or Simplified (Mandarin) and Yue (Cantonese). Now, just to be clear, these are spoken languages, independent of the various forms of the written characters. Native speakers often use both of these most common dialects, although they may also use other variations, typically representative of their family’s traditional origins in their ancestral homeland. As we enter into new partnerships for audio Bibles, we intend to offer as many spoken options as we can. In fact, we’re honored to already offer the Chinese Standard Bible (CSB), as read in the Mandarin dialect.
We’re thrilled to be able to expand what we offer to Chinese readers and speakers, especially considering the enormous potential to reach out to millions of people with the life-changing story of God’s love.
Now you can experience both YouVersion.com and the Bible App™ entirely in Chinese! While we’ve offered both Simplified and Traditional Chinese as individual language options at YouVersion.com for months, what we’re announcing today is much more than that. When the YouVersion community formally launches an additional language, what that means is that every single interaction you can have with YouVersion’s tools and community is now available completely in that language. Chinese is our fourth total language launch. (English was first, followed by Norwegian and Spanish.)
Specifically, here are all the ways that the YouVersion community (that’s you!) can now engage with God’s Word in Chinese:
- Great Chinese Bibles. YouVersion’s partners have graciously provided our community with several high quality, widely read Chinese versions of the Bible. (To see the full list, check 简体中文 and 繁體中文 near the bottom of the Versions page or, in the Bible App, click to change your current version and scroll to see the available Chinese versions.)
- Entire User Interface. Thanks once again to our world-changing community of YouVersion volunteers, when you select Simplified or Traditional Chinese as the default language on your device—whether on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Android, or BlackBerry—the Bible App displays all of your controls and menu options in that language.
- Communication in Chinese. Volunteers now make relevant YouVersion blog posts available in Simplified and Traditional Chinese. And when you initiate communication with YouVersion in Chinese, your email and other responses will be in Chinese as well.
- Support in Chinese. Now, you can even get help with the Bible App and YouVersion.com in Simplified or Traditional Chinese! When you have questions, YouVersion volunteers who speak Chinese will be happy to assist you.
YouVersion’s vision has always been simple: To help people connect freely with God’s Word, as easily as possible, no matter where they live or what language they speak. If your friends’ or loved ones’ heart language is Chinese, please share this great news about YouVersion.com and the Bible App with them. And be sure to come connect with us on Facebook and Twitter. We love hearing from you!
Keep checking back… To all our new Chinese speakers: Welcome to our YouVersion family! We’re thrilled to have you join us. Over the next couple of weeks here on our blog, we’ll be providing more details about each individual piece of the complete Chinese launch. We’re excited to share with you all that our community has to offer!