If just the thought of reading the whole Bible seems daunting, consider this: The Bible’s not just one book. It’s actually a collection of several books and letters, written over literally thousands of years. The Bible’s stories and ideas, taken all together, paint a picture of the love God has for us. Consider making 2011 the year you start exploring!
Whether or not you’ve read the Bible before, Reading Plans are a great way to engage with God’s Word. The Bible App from YouVersion now has more than 50 plans to choose from, with even more on the way! Each Reading Plan has a description that tells what it covers and how long it takes, so it’s easy to pick one that will work best for you:
- The Whole Bible. Reading just a little each day, it’s very do-able to read through the Bible in a year. Just try The One Year® Bible New Living Translation (NLT), M’Cheyne, or Chronological. As just one example, The One Year® Bible NLT takes only 15 minutes a day, with Old and New Testament, Psalm, and Proverb readings. This particular “through the Bible” plan is clear, easy, and user-friendly. (See the “original” print version here.) And if you like to set your sights on big goals, we challenge you to read the Bible in 90 Days!
- Part of the Bible. Maybe you don’t feel like you’re ready to try tackling the entire Bible yet. Or maybe you want to read at a more relaxed pace without feeling pressed for time. Check out New Thru 30, Essential 100, or One-2-One.
- Topical. If you’d like to read really deeply in a specific area of interest, taking some time to reflect, try a topical plan. You’ll find plans as diverse as Marriage, Wisdom, Why Read the Bible? and Top Verses to Memorize.
- Devotionals. In 2011, consider dedicating a part of each day to framing your thoughts around God’s Word and his plan for your life. Try Lifetime Guarantee, Morning and Evening, or Breathe Life.
2011 can be your year to get a fresh start reading the Bible. Check out the Reading Plans online at our website, or directly in the Bible App on your device. All you need to get started is the Bible App and a free YouVersion account. Want a little extra support in meeting your goal? When you’re at YouVersion.com, sign up for progress update emails for yourself or an accountability partner. Make today the first day of your new plan!
A new release, v. 2.6, is now available for the Bible App by YouVersion on Android! You can update yours in Market > Downloads. While this release contains a few bug fixes and performance enhancements, the new feature we’re most excited about is Reading Plans. When you choose a Reading Plan (from a list of 50+!), YouVersion gives you an easy schedule with a little to read each day. A Reading Plan is a simple, focused way to read through whatever you’re interested in in the Bible. And even if you miss a day (everybody does sometimes), just tap the “Catch Me Up” button, and the Bible App adjusts your schedule accordingly.
Once you have the Bible App installed on your Android device, to get started, just go to Reading Plans and browse for one that meets your needs. You can sign up at YouVersion.com for progress update emails for yourself or an accountability partner. If you start today, you can even read the 5-Day Christmas Story Plan between now and Saturday!
Consider making 2011 the year you really connect with the Bible. You can try a plan that will take you all the way through the Bible in a year, or just select parts, even specific topics and daily devotionals. If you’re looking for a challenge, there’s even a plan that will help you read the whole thing in just 90 days! Try out the Reading Plans and share your thoughts with your friends on Facebook and on Twitter.
Also, in just a few days, we’ll be telling you here about a huge goal you can be a part of this January. (Hint: All you’ll need to do to participate is read the Bible, just a little each day.)
The Christmas Story Reading Plan, available now, takes you through the biblical accounts of the events surrounding the birth of Christ. You can read directly from the source about the humble beginnings of a Savior the world had been anticipating for centuries: Emmanuel, “God with us.” Look for The Christmas Story Reading Plan in the Bible App (or on the website) on your mobile device under Reading Plans.
As the Bible App from YouVersion continues to break records with downloads (more than 12 million unique device installs, listed in iTunes’ 2010 Top Ten Reference Apps) and usage (more than 4 billion minutes read so far), we’ve been receiving positive press in all sorts of venues. We shared some others with you just a few weeks ago. Most recently, YouVersion was listed in some media outlets in the UK:
- MSN Tech. How your mobile can save Christmas. 16 Christmas survival apps that will help you get through the big day. Featured App #10: YouVersion Bible App. “The world’s best selling book… over 20 languages… downloaded every 2.8 seconds… bookmark your favourite pages.”
- theSheepDip.co.uk. Get the Bible on your mobile – for FREE! SheepDip offers resources for church communications, and they recently featured a free article for churches to use that focuses on the Bible App. “…attracted the attention of celebs, including Destiny’s Child and Strictly Come Dancing’s Michelle Williams, who’s a big fan who tweets about the app.”
- Big Bible. Byrony’s Advent-ure Calendar. In a list of tools available for Advent, author Byrony Taylor wrote, “I use the brilliant and free YouVersion bible app on my iphone…” He chose our Rediscovering the Christmas Season reading plan to blog about during Advent. (You can find Big Bible at their website and on Twitter.)