As the Bible App from YouVersion continues to break records with downloads (more than 12 million unique device installs, listed in iTunes’ 2010 Top Ten Reference Apps) and usage (more than 4 billion minutes read so far), we’ve been receiving positive press in all sorts of venues. We shared some others with you just a few weeks ago. Most recently, YouVersion was listed in some media outlets in the UK:
- MSN Tech. How your mobile can save Christmas. 16 Christmas survival apps that will help you get through the big day. Featured App #10: YouVersion Bible App. “The world’s best selling book… over 20 languages… downloaded every 2.8 seconds… bookmark your favourite pages.”
- theSheepDip.co.uk. Get the Bible on your mobile – for FREE! SheepDip offers resources for church communications, and they recently featured a free article for churches to use that focuses on the Bible App. “…attracted the attention of celebs, including Destiny’s Child and Strictly Come Dancing’s Michelle Williams, who’s a big fan who tweets about the app.”
We’re thrilled that people all around the world are experiencing and sharing what the Bible App has to offer. We love the Bible, and for us, that’s what it’s all about. God is reaching out to people everywhere, and we feel honored and humbled at YouVersion that we get to play a role in His plan to share the story of His love with them.
Now that we have the attention of the right people everywhere…
The Bible App™ is getting downloaded onto nearly 1 million mobile devices every month. That means two things:
- We’re getting close to helping people read the Bible on 12 million mobile devices!
- We could sure use some help
We’re looking for three amazing people to add to the YouVersion team:
YouVersion is looking for a PHP web developer that loves Jesus, the Bible, and MVC. View details.
Phenomenal Symbian engineer with deep experience, ingenuity, and patience. This is Symbian, after all. (Must love puzzles.) View details.
User Support Coordinator
YouVersion is looking for an empathetic, technologically savvy leader to head-up our global support team. This team will be taking care of millions of Bible App users as they engage Scripture in new and exciting ways. View details.
Share the love.
Whether you’re looking for yourself, or you know someone who you think would be great, keep checking our Jobs
page. 2011 is going to be a huge year for YouVersion, and we’ll be adding more team members as we break new ground. Please tell your friends! Let people know we’re hiring! Thanks!
The next version of the Bible App™ for iPhone and iPad, version 2.7, is now available in the iTunes app store and for download. We’re committed to continuing to make the Bible App as useful as possible. For this release, you’ll find several improvements, mainly to Reading Plans. Here are just a few of the highlights:
- We’ve made Reading Plans even easier to use all around!
- We added Categories to Reading Plans, so it’s much faster and easier to find specifically what you’re looking for.
- Especially when you’re trying to read through the entire Bible, everybody misses a day here or there. So we’ve come up with a feature we call “Catch Me Up” that helps you get back on track with whatever plan you’re using. Check it out!
We’ve also made the Bible App faster and more stable, and we fixed a few bugs. If you don’t already have it on your iPhone or iPad, we’d love for you to try it and let us know what you think on our Facebook page or on Twitter. If you already have the Bible App on your device, just tap the Apps icon and select Updates to jump up to this newest version.
Hopefully by now, you know that we love the Bible at YouVersion. We want to make the Bible as visible as possible this Christmas to remind the world of its true meaning: the gift of God’s only Son. We’re declaring all day Saturday, December 25, “Global Share the Bible Day.” We’d love for you to join us!
Spread the word. Please start letting your friends and acquaintances know now what we’ll be up to together. Invite as many people to join us December 25 as you can. Use word of mouth and online conversation. But first, let’s sweeten the deal: As a little “extra” incentive to get the word out, we’re excited to be able to offer a few lucky winners who post it online their choice between an iPad, an iPhone 4, or a Nexus S! (Check here for details.)
Set some reminders. All day on December 25, take every opportunity to share anything you love about the Bible. Tweet. Update your Facebook status. Change your blog or website home page. Visit with someone you meet. Just share! Here are a few ideas for things you could share:
- Your faith. What has God done in your life?
- Your favorite verse. Why? What does it mean to you?
- The Christmas story. What’s your favorite part?
- The Bible App. Tell people how they can get the Bible for free. (Hint: Send them to youversion.com/download.)
But these are only suggestions. Don’t stop there. Wherever you are on December 25, whatever you’re doing, share what’s special to you about the Bible. If you share online (especially Twitter), please include the hash tag #Bible. The Bible App makes it really easy to share. But remember: This isn’t about the Bible App. It’s all about the Bible.
On December 25, let’s draw as much attention as we can to the Bible—the story of God’s love for us.
Linking your free YouVersion account to your social networks makes it really simple to use the Bible App™ to share your thoughts about verses you’re reading. You always have control over what you share—no surprises in your Twitter or Facebook feed. Linking is an easy way to share your faith with your friends.
And setting it up is easy. It literally takes just about a minute. Here’s all you have to do:
- Go to the YouVersion.com website.
- Sign in to your free YouVersion account or, if you don’t have one already, sign up for one.
Note: If you have an existing Facebook account, you can sign up quickly with the “Sign up with Facebook” button.
- Top Right: Click your Username, then Settings.
- Right: Select the Connected Accounts tab.
- Select the Twitter tab.
- Click the “Connect to your Twitter account” link.
Note: If you’re not signed in, Twitter prompts you to sign in with your Twitter username and password.
- Click [Allow]:
- YouVersion connects your account to Twitter. (You can remove this connection at any time.)
- Select the Facebook tab.
- Click the “Connect to your Facebook account” link.
Note: If you’re not signed in, Facebook prompts you to sign in with your Facebook username and password.
- Click [Allow].
- YouVersion connects your account to Facebook. (You can remove this connection at any time.)
That’s it! You’re done, and you’re ready to let people know what you’re up to with YouVersion, anytime you feel like it, anywhere you are.
YouVersion, and the Bible, has a great opportunity to gain some mainstream visibility through the 2010 Mashable Awards. Thanks to all of your votes already we’ve made it to the top five finalists in the Best Mobile User Experience category. Now, with only 14 hours left to vote, we want to finish strong with a solid showing of YouVersion’s massive fan base.
So, if you have about 30 seconds today, go to the Mashable Awards page and vote for YouVersion in the category of Best Mobile User Experience. Just choose “Best Mobile User Experience” from the left dropdown menu and “@YouVersion” from the right dropdown menu. It should look like this:
And to all of you that have already voted multiple times over the past several weeks, thank you! We hope that the increased visibility will result in more people finding God’s Word on their phone.
Every year, Apple announces the top 10 apps for the year in each category in the iTunes Store. This year, we’re thrilled to announce that the Bible App from YouVersion made the top 10 in the free Reference category! On both iPhone and iPad!
Apple’s lists don’t indicate rank. The above iPhone apps view shows the winners sorted by name. We’d also like to draw your attention to the Paul Avery Holy Bible app and Logos for iPad. Paul Avery’s Holy Bible made both lists, and Logos made the iPad list—and both are free Bible apps! How awesome is it that God’s Word claimed three of the top spots for free Reference apps in 2010?! (To discover more free Bible resources, check out this page we added to our website to highlight them.)
To see more of the lists, simply go to the iTunes Store and click the iTunes Rewind banner:
Look under the Apps section, and click on the “Check Out the Hot Trends in 2010 Apps” link for either iPhone or iPad, whichever one you’re interested in. Click the “Top Free” link, and then scroll to the Reference section and click “See All.”
Here at YouVersion, we want to make the Bible App as helpful as it can be on every mobile platform. That’s why today we’re pleased to announce: Notes are now ready for Android! (Available immediately.) If you’ve used notes before on YouVersion.com or on one of our other platforms, hopefully you already know how they work.
Here’s a quick primer:
- Associate notes with a passage. Find the verse or passage you want to comment on and select it. When the options menu pops up, tap Notes. To add your note, tap Create New.
- Add notes freely. You don’t have to tie a note to a passage. You can add a freeform note about anything you want. Just tap the Notes tab to get started.
- Other things notes do. To post a note to Twitter or Facebook, open the note, tap menu, then tap “Share.” If you see a note that contains inappropriate content, select the note, tap menu, then tap “Report.” We’ll flag it and have a look at it for review.
When you’re adding a note, be sure you take a moment to indicate how you want to share it:
- Draft. If your note still needs a little time to “gel” before you’re ready to share it, mark it as Draft. This keeps it private just to you, but you can tell it still needs work.
- Private. No one else can see notes that you mark as Private. Most of us here at YouVersion use this feature primarily for journaling, collecting the things we sense that God is showing us in what we’re reading.
- Public. Public notes are visible to everyone. Reading other people’s notes and then adding your own is one of the best ways to connect and share your Bible reading experience with others.
- Publish on: Your note is basically marked as Private for now, then on the date you specify, its status will flip to Public.
TIP: You can change a note back and forth between the different categories at any time.
We’re so glad to be able to bring notes to the Bible App on your Android device. We still have lots more enhancements and features heading your way, but in the meantime, we hope you’ll take full advantage of all of the Bible tools you already have in your hands. We also hope you’ll use the Bible App’s connecting features to engage the other people in your circles of influence with the things that God is saying to you through His Word!
If you use the Bible App from YouVersion on your iPhone, then we imagine you might have watched with just the slightest twinge of envy as you’ve seen notes come to some of our other platforms. Your wait is over! As long as you’re signed in to your free YouVersion account, you’re ready to start adding notes:
- General notes. You can add a note at any time, and it can be about anything. Simply tap the Notes tab.
- Connected to a passage. Of course, you can link a note directly to a single verse. Just tap the verse you want to comment on, then tap Notes on the options menu that displays. To add yours, tap Create New. (You can even add additional verses—and remove verses—from their association with a note.)
- Connect with community. “Share” any note to post it to Twitter or Facebook, “Like” a note to display it in a list of your favorite Notes on your profile on YouVersion.com, even “Report” a note to flag it as inappropriate.
Important! For any note you make: Give it a title, then mark whether you want to share it:
- Draft. A note “in progress”—one that’s not quite ready for prime time.
- Private. Only you will see this note. This is a great way to journal for yourself about the things that God is showing you in His Word.
- Public. Your note will be visible by anyone. One of the greatest benefits of notes, public notes allow others to share in your journey through the Scriptures—and you in theirs.
- Publish on: The note will be Private for now, but it will become Public on the date you specify.
TIP: You can change a note back and forth between the different sharing options at any time.
Many of you have been asking us to bring notes to the iPhone for a long time now, so of course we’re thrilled to be able to provide it for you. But this is still just the beginning. We’re really excited about all the continued advancements and improvements still to come. In the meantime, enjoy your Bible! And please share your experience with others!