If you haven’t heard, the Bible App™ for iPhone and iPod touch recently got a comprehensive update. Version 3.3 is available immediately in the iTunes App Store. Over the last few days, we’ve been sharing tips with you on how you can take full advantage of many of the Bible App’s new features, including the updated Bible Reader and Sign in, Sign up and Support. Today we’ll introduce highlights for the first time, and we’ll show you your expanded bookmarking options.
- Highlights. Now, if you like, you can bring some of your favorite features from paper Bibles to your personal Bible App account. (Instructions for how to highlight are in the next section below.)
- New Bible readers. Highlights are a great way you can mark verses you enjoy, or that speak to you in special ways, so you can easily spot them later.
- Experienced Bible readers. If you’ve been highlighting in your Bible for years, you’ll realize quickly that Bible App highlights work pretty much just as you’d expect.
- Sync Your Highlights. When you add a highlight in the Bible App on any device, you’ll see your highlight on any YouVersion platform that supports that feature.
|To add a highlight:
- Tap a verse (or more than one) to select it.
- Bottom right: Tap the sharing icon that appears.
- Tap the color you want your highlight to be.
Tap the rainbow to select a custom color:
- Drag the color picker icon to select your color.
- Lighter/Darker: Slide the shading bar.
- Bottom: A sample of your color displays.
- Tap Choose.
To remove a highlight:
- Tap the highlighted verse(s) whose highlights you want to remove.
- Bottom right: Tap the sharing icon that appears.
- Tap the bright red ‘X’ selection.
Bookmarks. For the first time in the Bible App, now you can bookmark multiple verses at a time. Here’s how it works:
- Tap the verse(s) you want to bookmark.
- Bottom right: Tap the sharing icon that appears.
- Tap Bookmark.
- Optional: If you selected more verses than you intended to bookmark, tap the list and remove the ones you want to.
- Optional: Select a highlight color.
- Optional: Name your bookmark with a title.
- Optional: Add a label(s) to your bookmark to categorize it for faster future reference (like Counseling, Encouragement, Fundamentals, etc.).
Use bookmarks to label verses you want to share with friends, to enhance your own personal studies, or however you want. The possibilities are truly only limited by your imagination and creativity.
At YouVersion, our simple mission is always the same: to make it as easy as possible for people to freely engage with the Bible, no matter where they live. It is this vision that drives the features and functions we add to the Bible App. If you’re not already, we hope you’ll consider using the Bible App to connect to the Bible every day. And if you do: Thanks! Please also share with your friends how fulfilling it can be to engage with God’s Word–anytime, anyplace.
After the announcement of the Bible App™ version 3.3 release for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad, we promised we’d give you specific tips on how you could get the most out of it. First, we covered Bible Reader updates. Today, we’ll tell you about enhancements to Sign in, Sign up, and integrated Technical Support.
- Sign in is cleaner and offers more options, such as signing in with either your email address or username.
- Sign up now lets you sign up for a free YouVersion account using your Facebook login, saving you time:
- You won’t have to verify your email address, and
- Your YouVersion account connects automatically to your Facebook account, making it easy to share the Bible App, verses, or Bible plans with your friends.
- Now you can access Technical Support from directly inside the Bible App. When you email Support from within the Bible App, your request automatically includes information that helps our team quickly troubleshoot your issue.
|Also from directly inside the Bible App, you can:
- View solutions to Frequently Asked Questions from the YouVersion knowledgebase.
- Watch video tutorials, and
- See recent tweets on known issues from @YouVersionHelp, YouVersion’s official support account on Twitter.
Still don’t have your Apple device updated to the latest release of the Bible App? What are you waiting for? You can get it right now in the iTunes App Store. And be sure to come back tomorrow to learn all about the brand-new highlighting features and exciting updates to bookmarks! These much-requested, new and updated features promise to make your experience connecting with the Bible through the Bible App richer than ever before.
Yesterday we announced the major release of version 3.3 of the Bible App™ for iOS. Over the next few days, we’ll be sharing with you some specific details about how you can take full advantage of this comprehensive update. Today, we’ll focus on enhancements to the Bible Reader: what they do for you and how you use them.
Keep checking back here for more tips about some of the great, time-saving features you can find in the updated Bible App. If you haven’t updated yours already, go check it out now in the iTunes App Store. And please tell your friends!
Version 3.3 of the Bible App™ for iOS (iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch) is in the iTunes App Store now! (Complete instructions for how to update are at the end of this post.) You’ll find this latest release packed with updates and improvements:
- For the first time, you can select multiple verses at one time to bookmark, highlight, share, or create a note.
- The sign-in/sign-up process is now streamlined for speed and clarity.
- The Settings screen is redesigned to give you better access to more functionality like support and Reader changes. (Look for more updates here on our blog in the coming months…)
- Navigating to another book, chapter, or verse is updated to reflect the way most people actually navigate Scripture. You should find getting around a lot faster and easier now.
- Now you can use your Facebook account to sign up for your free YouVersion account, which will let you easily track your Bible reading, add notes and highlights, and share online—just a few of its many benefits.
- Find technical support directly inside the Bible App. You can even send support requests through email that will automatically include all the information our Support team needs to answer your questions quickly and accurately.
- YouVersion’s amazing community of volunteers has done it once again, making the Bible App’s Japanese interface even better.
Here are some sneak peeks of what you can expect…
A few new features are specific to iPhone and iPod touch only:
- Now you can view Scripture in fullscreen mode by simply double-tapping on the Bible Reader. (Just double-tap again to return to normal reading mode.)
- Highlight your favorite verses with custom colors and sync them online or on other devices that support this feature.
- Bookmarks now offer advanced features like titles, labels, and highlight colors.
Share the love. Please tell your friends with Apple devices about this new release. And we’d love to connect with you on Facebook and Twitter.
Get Your Update Now:
If you already have the Bible App installed:
- On your Apple device, tap the App Store icon.
- When the App Store opens, tap the Updates icon.
- Tap Update for the Bible App.
Tap Update All.
If this is your first time installing the Bible App:
- On your Apple device, tap the App Store icon.
- When the App Store opens, tap the Search icon.
- Search for “Bible”.
- Tap the Bible App from LifeChurch.tv.
- Tap the FREE button.
In the YouVersion community, we love the Bible. We believe it has the power to change lives. We hear all the time from people who have experienced the extraordinary reach of God’s Word–through just a simple app on their mobile device. Reuniting with a faith left behind years ago, finding just the right words to encourage a friend, receiving confirming inspiration in precisely the moment of need–all are examples we hear again and again in our community.Today we’d like to share with you a few specific stories, directly from people touched by the Bible during difficult times in their lives, in their own words. God is using the Bible App™ to make His Word always available to meet people’s needs–no matter where they are:
“I have really enjoyed the upgrades to the Bible App over the past two years. Recently, I was able to surprise my uncle while he was in the hospital, not just showing him Scripture and how many different versions of the Bible are available, but by allowing him to hear it actually read aloud by the software.” —George B.
“I love having the ability to look up any word in the Bible and see it display all of the associated Scriptures right away. I have a disability that prevents me from doing much typing, so I love that I can share Scriptures without having to type the words. I believe this is the best Bible application available. Thank you for the Bible App, YouVersion!” —Cherie S.
“I love having the Bible on my iPhone. I have cataracts at 73 years of age and I can see the backlit words better and read faster. I’ve read as many 19 chapters in one sitting! And it’s the only Bible I take to church now.” —Mary D.
What’s Your Story?
If YouVersion and the Bible App have helped you connect with God’s Word more, we’d love to hear your story. Please join the conversation on Facebook or Twitter, or you can get in touch with us directly using the form below.
Publishers. The passion of the YouVersion community is to make it easy for people to engage with the Bible and connect with each other, no matter where they live or what language they prefer. Through partnerships with key Bible publishers, YouVersion is privileged to offer Russian versions of the Bible in easy-to-understand translations. Two we have available right now are:
- Slovo Zhizny (RSZ) Provided by Biblica, this full Bible version was translated in an informal Russian language style. Beginning from a base of biblical languages and employing a meaning-based translation philosophy, Slovo Zhizny was completed in 2000.
- Синодальный перевод (RURSV) Begun in 1813 by the Russian Bible Society and completed in 1876, the Russian Synodal Translation based its Old Testament on the Jewish Masortic text and its New Testament on Greek editions popular at the time. This particular version, which includes revisions incorporated in 1956, is perhaps most commonly associated with the Russian Orthodox Church, although it has also been widely enjoyed by Russian Baptists, other Russian Protestants, and even Roman Catholics. In fact, its reach during the last two centuries even influenced certain developments in the Russian language.
Volunteers. The incredible impact that the YouVersion community is making around the world is only possible because of dedicated volunteers—people just like you. Volunteers are simply ordinary, everyday people who choose to use their gifts and talents in other languages to help share the story of God’s love with others worldwide. If you can help us translate new features and services in any language—but especially into Russian—we’d love to hear from you. (We’ll also be launching Korean soon…more details in the weeks to come.) Just use our volunteer sign-up form to let us know what you can do.
If you’re still not sure volunteering is for you, please read and prayerfully consider this message from one of our awesome Russian language volunteers. Read in her own words what working with YouVersion and the Bible App™ has meant to her:
“I became enthusiastic about YouVersion when I first noticed my husband and a few of our friends using it on their phones. In a busy world where so many things occupy our minds, the Bible App helps us engage with God’s Word and maintain a biblical perspective. I realized that if simply using the Bible App could draw my husband and friends (who know English) closer to God, then there were probably many other people who don’t know English who could also be inspired and motivated by YouVersion, if it was just in their language. That’s why I volunteered: To help other Russian-speaking people connect with God and His Word.”
—Kateryna in Warsaw, Poland
Our simple mission at YouVersion is to make it easy for everyone to freely engage with the Bible, no matter where they live or what language they speak. And of course, our connection to God through His Word is made so much richer when we share that experience with others. We love hearing stories from our YouVersion community about how you use the Bible App™ in your everyday life, and about what it means to you. Here are just a few of the things that people from all over the world have been telling us:
“The Bible App has been a true blessing! I’m able to keep the Word with me every day! I study the Bible more using the index, reading Bible chapters from start to finish…. And the daily encouraging messages are such a helpful way to start the day off right.”
“Having the Bible with me all the time has made me fall in love with the Word of God all over again. The convenience is wonderful to have, and I appreciate that I can search and have numerous versions right in the palm of my hand.”
“I found the Bible App on my husband’s phone a little over a year ago. I asked him about it because he was a ‘non-believer.’ He told me had been reading it, and last June he came home a NEW man! Now he’s on fire for Christ! He even uses the Bible App to witness to his friends. I promise you this app was divinely placed on his phone!”
What’s your story?
What about you? Has the Bible App changed the way you connect with the Bible? We’d love to hear from you on Facebook, Twitter, or on the form below. What’s your story?
Working together with YouVersion, Monvee has integrated YouVersion’s tools into their customizable online spiritual assessment and growth tool. This means that for the first time, if you have a Monvee account, you can directly reach your YouVersion notes, bookmarks, and Bible reading plans—right from your Monvee User Dashboard!
Every month, millions of us in the YouVersion community add bookmarks and save notes in YouVersion. Whether you’re recording private reflections, sharing your insights on certain passages, or just thinking aloud, notes are a great way to capture what God’s Word is speaking to you wherever you are. Of course, a quick bookmark is a great way you can “mark your place” to return to a key verse later. Now, you can easily look up Scriptures and write notes relevant to your journey—all from the convenience of your Monvee spiritual plan.
We’re excited about working with Monvee and appreciate the value they place on daily Scripture engagement. You can find out more about Monvee’s features, tools, and services at their website.
YouVersion.com and the Bible App™ (on iPhone/iPad/iPod touch, BlackBerry, and Android) are now available entirely in Russian. What this means is that for every interaction you have with the YouVersion community, if you like, you may connect completely in Russian. Whether it’s reading high quality translations of the Bible, using menus and other tools, reading recent blog posts, requesting and receiving technical support from native speakers—even in direct communications with YouVersion through Facebook and Twitter or email—YouVersion’s incredible volunteers are bringing Russian to you.
Russian represents our fifth complete language launch, after Norwegian, Spanish, Chinese, and of course English. But this is only the beginning. YouVersion’s vision is to make the Bible freely available to as many people as possible, no matter where they live or what language they speak. If you have friends and loved ones who might enjoy engaging with God’s Word in Russian, please let them know about YouVersion’s exciting new options. And keep checking this space—we’ll be sharing more Russian language news here in the coming weeks!